Thursday, June 30, 2011

Free Chunky Crocheted Bowl Pattern


CHUNKY CROCHETED BOWL:
I love this little one; not hard, but if you've never worked on heavy textiles in crochet before, it seems mysterious. And I love the tweedy, homey look!! These bowls are flexible but strong! They can hold balls of yarn, keys, toys, whatever you like, just probably not gooshy food items, hah!

Here's the pattern: Work with a quadruple strand of medium weight yarn (four strands held together and used like one!) and WITH A SIZE K HOOK (u.s.) work ch 3, sl st to form a small ring.
I won't state this in rounds because it's really intuitive: 

Work a sc circle in a spiral to your desired bowl diameter:

Your first round will be as many sc as you can fit nicely into the beginning ring. Instead of joining, just start sc's of the second round right on top of your beginning point, working in a spiral.

Your second "round" will be working ( sc, 2sc)  all around the circle, then continue in a spiral instead of joining (you'll need to mark your beginning point with a pin since you are working in a spiral, with no seam and no joining).

Your third "round" will be working sc around, with 2sc in every third sc. 

Your fourth "round" will be working sc around, with 2sc in every fourth sc.
You see where I'm going here....this is simply working sc in the round, increasing as needed to keep your circle flat. You may need to adjust the increases so your stitches don't get too crowded. Use your judgment and make a nice flat circle!

Continue to make a chunky circle to your desired diameter for your bowl. (Actually stop when you're within an inch of your desired diameter, because it will continue to enlarge as you begin on the walls)

To start forming the walls, simply sc in every sc around, continuing to work in a spiral. One tip: Working with the bowl cupped inward (instead of bowing outward like it will be when it's used) makes it much easier to work.

If you wish to make the bowl slope inward, you can do a round or two decreasing every 6th or 7th stitch. Experiment and have fun with it. 

To end your bowl, work 2 or 3 slip stitches instead of sc's and tie off. Tightly pull the end of your work so the last stitch is small and weave the ends through your work for one stitch; then knot your yarns and securely hide and sew down the tail end. 

Enjoy!!

My "thing" is SMALL, DOABLE, quick projects which use a skein of yarn or less....and which don't commit you to a big thing that schlumps around after you in your dreams, taunting you and making you feel bad for not finishing it!! So if you like low-commitment crochet projects, click on the links below and check out my etsy pattern store! All of the patterns are original, by me, Susan!

Ta ta!
_____

To see more of my original crochet design work, check out my Etsy Pattern Store or my Kindle- and Nook-friendly patterns on Amazon  or Barnes and Noble



5 comments:

  1. oh please tell what yarn you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish I could...I think there was some Red Heart basic yarns, I think two variegated yarns in autumn colors. I also used a pink (also a scrap yarn, probably another inexpensive acrylic), and a lightweight cotton blue, I have no idea of the brand. My main idea was punching up the variegated earth colors with some pink and blue. Good luck, sorry I can't be more help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors you used to make this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I love seeing how scrap yarns look when put together to make something new! Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im giving it a try. I am just learning to read patterns. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete